If you ever wanted a symbolic piece of Ronnie James Dio, your chance is coming up. Julien’s Auctions will pay tribute to one of the most influential singers in heavy metal, with the “Property From The Estate Of Ronnie James Dio” auction, live at The Hard Rock Café in New York on Friday, September 14 and Saturday, September 15 and online at JuliensLive.com.
Here are some of the highlights of the available items from the singer’s career with Rainbow, Black Sabbath and DIO:
– Several pieces of original album artwork including the acrylic painting by Barry Jackson used as the cover for the 1984 DIO album ‘The Last In Line’ (estimate $20,000 – $30,000)
– Moon and stars patchwork jeans worn extensively on stage with Rainbow (estimate $2,000 – $4,000)
– Dio’s custom-made violet suede vest with tails and red leather shin guards worn on stage and in promotional photographs for the 1985 ‘Sacred Heart’ tour (estimate $2,000 – $4,000)
– A personalized Black Sabbath hooded velour robe from the 1981 ‘Mob Rules’ tour worn regularly backstage (estimate $1,000 – $2,000)
– Dio’s personal rolling wardrobe case (estimate $800 – $1,200)
– Animatronic dragon’s head from the 1985 ‘Sacred Heart’ tour (estimate $3,000 – 5,000)
– Dio’s studio and stage used instruments and gear such as a custom Charvel guitar featuring a one-of-a-kind wizard paint motif (estimate $3,000 – $5,000)
– 1978 Gold record award commemorating Australian sales of the Rainbow album ‘Rising’ (estimate $600–$800)
– 1978 Gold record award for the album Rainbow ‘On Stage’ (estimate $600 – $800).
Dio’s wife Wendy, spoke about the auction: “I am glad that these items from Ronnie’s extensive collection will go to his fans, museums and collectors. These items are very special to me but I recognize the historical importance of anything to do with Ronnie. He would want his fans to be able to own, enjoy and see these items.”
Darren Julien, CEO and president of Julien’s Auctions, said, “Dio stands atop the colossal rock legends of our time. He was the definitive heavy metal hero whose voice, style and persona influenced the genre and today’s music icons. We salute Dio’s enduring legacy in this larger-than-life collection of his artefacts that will surely be the ultimate metal auction of the season.”