Tom Petty Died of Accidental Overdose – Included Fentanyl, Oxycodone

Rock legend Tom Petty, who passed away last year, died as a result of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, according to a statement from his wife and daughter. The revelation made via Petty’s Facebook page moments before the Los Angeles Coroners office released their findings on the cause of death.

According to the report, Petty had consumed a mix of sedatives,  antidepressants and prescription pain killers, including oxycodone and fentanyl.



His death came on the same day he was told he was suffering from a broken hip, following a string of performance while enduring a less serious injury. Petty reportedly also suffered from emphysema and knee problems but was still committed to touring. In fact, he had just wrapped up a tour in the days leading up to his death in October at the age of 66.

Dana and Adria Petty are not contesting the Coroner’s findings, revealing he had indeed been prescribed a variety of medications, which included fentanyl patches –  saying “we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.”

They added “As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.”

In addition to Tom Petty, it was determined that Prince, who died unexpectedly in April of 2016, also died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

 

Source: National Post/The Associated Press



Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.